Thyroid Surgery Scar Repair
What is a thyroidectomy?
A thyroidectomy is the procedure for removing all or part of the thyroid gland. There are various reasons patients undergo a thyroidectomy. One of the major indications is the diagnosis of thyroid cancer, proven by a fine-needle biopsy. A thyroidectomy is a viable option for patients with past malignancies, symptomatic thyroid masses, or goiters. Dysphagia (difficulty swallowing) of solid foods is a strong indication that surgery is needed. Other symptoms include dyspnea (difficulty breathing), shortness of breath, and /or hoarseness.
After a thyroidectomy, many patients are left with a scar that is hypertrophic (raised) and discolored. These scars can be physically uncomfortable, visually distracting, and mentally troublesome for many people.
What are the types of treatment for thyroid Surgery scars?
- Steroid injections: Steroid injections can relieve some of the scars physical discomfort, such as itchiness and tenderness. It can also lessen the scar’s discoloration and size
- Removing scar tissue: Sometimes removing the scar tissue and suturing the wound with very small stitches can fix these types of scars.
- Skin grafts: Skin or flap grafts may be able to fix the results of hypertrophic scars.
- Combination treatment: Occasionally the best plan is to combine treatments: removing the scar tissue, along with steroid injections and use of topical creams.
- Other treatments: This includes wearing pressure bandages to minimize swelling and support healing, as well as radiation
If you would like to find out how Dr. Volshteyn, our board certified plastic surgeon, can repair and improve your thyroidectomy scar, please call our office at (732) 641-3350
Dr. Volshteyn is a board certified Plastic Surgeon, who is
reconstructive and plastic surgery.
Dr. Daniels is the Medical Director of Daniels Vein
Center, and is a highly skilled
Janet P Parler MD is one of the most respected and
experienced board certified plastic
and reconstructive surgeons in New Jersey.
"I cannot thank you enough for what you have done for me. You saved my
life. I would never do
cosmetic surgery abroad EVER. I am not ready to have the reconstruction
done yet, but when I am ready,
there is no-one else I would trust." -Esmeralda F
"The nightmare is finally over. My stomach looks absolutely wonderful...
I will see you next fall for
my face and I promise to quit smoking."
Read More Reviews
Call Us Today