Recovering From a Soft Tissue Injury
Soft tissues refer to the “softer” parts of the outer body excluding bones and joints. Soft tissue injuries are common, ranging from minor to severe.
These injuries fall into 2 categories
- Acute: injuries caused by sudden trauma, such as a fall, twist or blow to the body.
- Overuse: gradual injury over time and typically with athletes or other activity that is repetitively performed closely together not allowing the body to heal between occurrences.
Most Common Acute Soft Tissue Injuries
- Sprains: a stretch and/or tear of a ligament, which is a band of connective tissues that connects bones to one another. Ligaments help support and stabilize the body’s joints.
- Strains: An injury to a muscle and/or tendon. These are fibrous cords of tissue that connect muscles to bones.
- Contusions: a bruise that is caused by continuous blows or one direct blow. These crush the muscle fibers and connective tissue without even breaking the skin.
The R.I.C.E treatment initially used for soft tissue injuries
- Rest: Take a break from the activity that caused your injury.
- Ice: Use cold packs in intervals of 20 minutes multiple times throughout the day.
- Compression: To prevent any blood loss or and minimize swelling, wrap area with a compression sleeve or band.
- Elevation: This is to reduce swelling. Elevate the injury higher than your heart.
If you have attempted the R.I.C.E. protocol without finding relief, there may be a
more serious underlying issue involving the ligament, tendon, nerve or blood vessel and this would need to be addressed ASAP before the damage is irreversible.
Dr. Volshteyn, our board certified plastic surgeon, completed his fellowship in micro surgery and is well versed in the repair of soft tissue injuries. Please call our office today to schedule your appointment 732-641-3350
Dr. Volshteyn is a board certified Plastic Surgeon, who is
reconstructive and plastic surgery.
Dr. Daniels is the Medical Director of Daniels Vein
Center, and is a highly skilled
Janet P Parler MD is one of the most respected and
experienced board certified plastic
and reconstructive surgeons in New Jersey.
"I cannot thank you enough for what you have done for me. You saved my
life. I would never do
cosmetic surgery abroad EVER. I am not ready to have the reconstruction
done yet, but when I am ready,
there is no-one else I would trust." -Esmeralda F
"The nightmare is finally over. My stomach looks absolutely wonderful...
I will see you next fall for
my face and I promise to quit smoking."
Read More Reviews
Call Us Today