Dercum’s Disease Treatment in New Jersey
Dercum’s Disease is a rare condition characterized by painful lipomas, or benign fatty tumors, primarily located on the abdomen and legs. According to the National Organization for Rare Disorders, it occurs in more women than men. The cause of Dercum’s Disease is unknown, but research indicates that it may be an autoimmune disorder or a problem associated with metabolizing fat in the endocrine system.
The Four Primary Symptoms of Dercum’s Disease
- Multiple painful fatty masses
- Weakness and fatigue
- Mental disturbances, emotional instability, depression, confusion, and dementia.
In addition, lipomas can further cause nerve compression resulting in weakness and pain.
The diagnosis is based on clinical criteria, physical examination, and by excluding differential diagnosis. MRI, CT scans, and biopsies can be helpful in identifying Dercum’s Disease. There is no current cure for the disease.
Treatment of Dercum’s Disease
- Medication to relieve pain
- Traditionally, surgical removal of the fatty tumor(s) is performed, however the patient is left with scarring and in cases of multiple fatty tumors, multiple scars are accrued.
- A less invasive option has been liposuction, however it is difficult to remove the entire tumor resulting in future recurrence.
- Dr. Volshteyn has developed an innovative method of removing the fatty tumor utilizing ultrasonic destruction with minimal incisions. This process turns the tumor into a liquid consistency and then gently suctioned out through the same small incision.
Call us today to schedule your consultation 732-641-3350
Dr. Volshteyn is a board certified Plastic Surgeon, who is
reconstructive and plastic surgery.
Dr. Daniels is the Medical Director of Daniels Vein
Center, and is a highly skilled
Janet P Parler MD is one of the most respected and
experienced board certified plastic
and reconstructive surgeons in New Jersey.
"I cannot thank you enough for what you have done for me. You saved my
life. I would never do
cosmetic surgery abroad EVER. I am not ready to have the reconstruction
done yet, but when I am ready,
there is no-one else I would trust." -Esmeralda F
"The nightmare is finally over. My stomach looks absolutely wonderful...
I will see you next fall for
my face and I promise to quit smoking."
Read More Reviews
Call Us Today